Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Time to get serious..



I signed all my bankruptcy paperwork today. I'm not sure where it is at now, I'm assuming with interest I have about $55,000.00 in credit card debt. I'm still nervous about a lot of things. I feel like there are some things stacked against me. However, I am feeling better about a few things I was worried about and that despite the outcome, even if it's shitty and horrible, it'll be over soon.

I'll still be in debt from the school loan I just took out but that's ok and a good investment.

For now, lets assume all is going to go swimmingly and talk about the things I'm looking forward AFTER the discharge:

-Really strict budgeting. I haven't been as careful as I have been since I stopped paying my credit cards but it's definitely has simplified things for me and it's not nearly as hard as I thought it would be getting by. In all, I'd say, I'm less stressed about money than BEFORE I stopped paying my credit cards. I want to really start to buckle down though.

-Saving all the money I can! I've become so much smarter about the purchases I do make and I feel like I buy a lot less things out of feeling "entitled" to them. I can't wait to save an emergency fund and then, eventually save for large things I want. :)

-Starting an IRA. I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to starting some sort of retirement fund. I hope to save 100.00 a month if I can manage for 2-3 years and eventually go up to 200.00 a month after that.

-Health Insurance! I think there's not much to say besides that. For me, its tax deductible! If I can afford it or not really depends on what I'm making while I'm in school.

-Getting ahead on tax payments! Yes, actually paying ESTIMATED taxes until waiting until April to sort it all out.

Let's just hope that things go well for me...




No comments: