Saturday, May 9, 2009

lives lost and farm animals

I've always have had a deep fascination with old photographs that people throw away. It's hard for me to understand why someone would forget about something or someone and throw away images that once meant something to someone.

A few weeks ago when I was in California, I spent some time in two awesome reuse stores that collect items that would otherwise go to land fills to sell to artists and teachers at a minimal cost for reuse.

One had a HUGE bin of old photos and I literally spend two hours going through the photos. I bought a bunch.

Here are some of my favorites:


I love the spots on the photo.


There's something really interesting about this. I think it's the cross and the fact that the church looks like it's in the middle of nowhere.


I love graveyards in latin america. There's something far less bleak and depressing about them that the graveyards I'm used to.



This is by far my favorite. A deer with a picnic basket in October 1961



There are no words for this.


This is one of those photos that make me wonder about the subjects..



Matadors.


Swans.



Turkey Parade.



Still life with roma tomatoes on a 1980s bed sheet. I really wonder the motivation for all of this effort.



It's hard to see in the photo but this is the Eiffel Tower from the Left Bank. Whoever took this probably thought this was a throw away, but I think it's lovely.

No comments: